How to handle “haters” in your business

Previous post:

Next post:

by Dana on March 20, 2013

This week, I’m getting a bit vulnerable and sharing something that threw me for a loop—encountering my first hater. I’ll share how I processed the experience and some tips that will hopefully help you, should you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

{ 6 comments }

Margaret Johnson March 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Hi Dana,
Enjoyed your topic! What a great perspective on the “hater”.
I went to a Women’s Energy Network luncheon downtown yesterday and the speaker was a female CEO that had been featured in the newspaper the other day – for begin one of two women speaking at a major energy industry event in Houston the week before – in a sea of men. She mentioned getting some hate mail from the article. On the lines of “it’s not the right place for a woman, you should be at home,…” I can’t believe people still think that. I commented to the woman seated next to me that the “hater” had to have something going on – and it had nothing to do with the speaker.
So – your topic was timely. Thanks!

Dana March 22, 2013 at 12:15 am

So glad you liked it! And thanks so much for sharing that story, Margaret.

Jeannie Spiro March 22, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Great topic. A few things I’ve learned about content marketing is that I need to share valuable and specific information. I do my best to make sure that all I share is relevant to my audience but there are people who don’t always feel like that and eventually unsubscribe. I’m totally fine with this now because I only want people to follow me if they think I’m someone who can provide them with beneficial information.

I’ve realized we can’t please everyone and some people prefer to have the last word (even after they’ve unsubscribed). I no longer get upset about that and just keep focusing on sharing content and creating services that my most ideal clients want.

I’m a firm believer in sharing constructive criticism when I can — if only more people would do that I think we’d all benefit!

Dana March 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Jeannie!

Dana Lee Chapman March 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Great video Dana. Thanks for sharing! I especially love the concept of “be grateful they are self-selecting themselves OUT of your positive energy field & tribe.” Good stuff. xo

Dana March 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm

So glad you enjoyed it, Dana!